Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Much Needed Update!

Last pic at 38 weeks! (took 2 hours before water broke! had no idea what was in store for me!)





Oh where to begin! I will try to remember as much as I can without giving too much uneeded info! (you moms know what I am talking about!) On Wednesday night Jer and I were watching a movie and I excused myself for a bathroom break and to grab a night time pudding treat. As soon as I stood up I knew what had happened and ran to the bathroom. Let's juat say I zoomed past a trickle stage. I told Jared I thought my water broke and we both looked at each other like "oh no!" and "what now?". Then I looked around at my big pile of laundry, dirty bathroom, dishes in sink, and many other undone projects cuz I thought I had another week and starting packing my bag, cuz it was baby time no matter if I was ready or not! My contactions started soon after and off we went! We got to the hospital around 11pm and by then I knew we were in the clear for her not being an April Fool baby. Thank goodness. We did let a few people know we were at the hospital and some of them did not believe us! Stupid holiday. By midnight I was gowned up and in a delivery room. I had decided to see how far I could go without drugs and to experience the process. By three am I was at 6 cm and frankly losing my mind!!! When I was at a four just a couple contactions before that I thought I had plenty of time, but she told me 6 before I knew it and I said, "EPIDURAL!" For me being so scared of getting an epidural (big needle) it went so smooth and I must say pretty pain free. I felt so much better and I could still move my legs, but had that wonderful numb feeling like going to the dentist. By now I think it was around 4 am. The nurses wanted us to get some rest. Well, it felt like about 20 minutes later four nurses came rushing in and they all were staring at the monitors. I immediately went into nervous mode, but Jer kept me calm and kept reassuring me all was okay. I believed him until they started telling my to get on my hands and knees right away. Apparently, Kylie's heartbeat had dropped and wasn't picking back up. The doctor came in and said he was going to put an internal monitor on her head to better pick up her heart rate. After he did that her heart rate was fine. It was a stressful few minutes of worry, but Jer says he thinks the band just wasn't positioned well on my belly and wasn't picking her up. At 5 am it was time to start pushing! Evidently, I don't have birthing hips cuz I pushed for over an hour and was getting exhausted. I had been on an oxygen mask the whole labor and was pooped. My doctor (who was great!) asked if he could help by using a vacuum to get her out. I gave the go head cuz I was so tired and wanted to see this baby. 30 minutes later and Kylie was here at 6:36 am. She came out screaming her head off and healthy. They put her straight on my chest when she came out and I immediately fell in love with her and gave her the check over counting toes and such. She weighed 5 lbs. 15 ounces and was 19 inches long. I have to give props to my hubby who at one time wasn't sure if he even wanted to be in the room. He did an awesome job keeping me focused, breathing, and pushing hard. He stayed right by my ear and whispered how I was doing such a good job, to keep going, and how proud of me he was! He still declined cutting the cord, which is fine by me, but he immediately had a big grin that lasted forever when she arived. We took advantage of two days in the hospital which was good, but boring at times. We are now home and had a good first night. She slept 3 hours at a time and sleep by me in bed. We are getting a bassinet tonight from sister-in-law and brother so I will try that out tonight. Jared has to go back to work tonight cuz his FMLA wasn't supposed to start until next week. Wish me luck on the next couple nights on my own. One last thing, after all was said and done the doctor said it was good she came early cuz he wasn't sure if she was any bigger I might not have been able to have her naturally. She must have known she had no more room and needed to come out! Sorry so long! All in all we are in love and both look and each other in amazement that she is ours. Last night we looked at each other and asked, "how could anyone doubt there is a God?" She is a wonderful baby and we love just staring at her!

4 comments:

Wendy Rich said...

she is so beautiful stacie and jared, good work. i cant wait to see her in person.

Natalie said...

Okay, you totally have me in tears (crazy pregnancy hormones). ;-) I loved reading of the whole process! What a beautiful baby girl! I love the bow in her hair too. I am so happy for you and Jared. God bless your little family!

valerie said...

Oh COngrats you guys! I love long stories, especially good ones like this!
What a beautiful little girl. ANd I mean little!! 5 lbs, what must that be like? My children are always 8 lbs or more! I'm glad everything went rather well for you, and you seem to be doing good. Good luck with everything, and I hope you can rest as much as possible....tkae advantage while she is so tiny, that stage of sleeing all the time seems to go away faster than you think!

moni said...

that is such a great story! thanks for posting all the details! all i got was that one text so i didn't know what had happened!!! she's beautiful! i'll have to try to come by and meet her when i get a day off.