Sunday, January 11, 2009

Oh Man.

So, I now have around 90 days left in this pregnancy and anxiety has made it's way into my everyday thinking! I am usually not very anxious about anything, but the other day in the car with Jared I just started crying over how this baby is going to come out eventually and with that will be HUGE resposibility and HUGE pain! It seems overwhelming at times, but I know it will all work out. Part of my problem is I am not prepared. We have not signed up for any classes (we have been told they are not worth it, plus they are spendy!) and I go to the library to look for books and the selection alone is mind boggling. What it comes down to is I need to really know what is in store for me, but at the same time ignorance is bliss! Even with all my daycare and nanny days under my belt this baby is ours and doesn't go home at night! Does anyone know of some good books for me to check out or if you thought classes were worth it? My doc keeps asking about classes and I avoid the question each time! Not a very good patient I know. Also, our nursery is in a sad state. We have a crib with no mattress, a stroller (thanks Dee!), blankets, and LOTS of clothes. The room itself is a mess and I go in there and don't even know where to begin. We are not repainting the room (pain in the rear) so finding something to go with the room colors has been a slight challenge. When do everyone start working on baby's room or I am just a big slacker? Thanks for the vent!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

First off, big huge hugs coming your way. You are about to be apart of a huge thing that nobody can predict the outcome of, it's scary stuff!

I think if anyone says they weren't a little overwhelmed by the process at some point, they would be kidding themselves.

I really like this book for the 1st year of babys life:
http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Babys-First-Year-Book/dp/B001OLRM1Y/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231720114&sr=8-16
They also have a pregnancy book that would probably be helpful, they seam to be a lot more real world about things.

As far as the nursery goes, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. Start by organizing the clothes, first by size, then by season. Then put them in to boxes, drawers or even on a book shelf with baskets. Set up a changing area, so that everything you need for diaper time is at your hands (diapers, wipes, butt cream for rash, maybe a special toy) Once you get a mattress, wash a sheet and put it on, maybe a breathable bumper and that's pretty much a bed. There really shouldn't be much in the bed until they are older, so a noise machine would probably come in handy, but should be on something next to the crib.
Do it in sections, take a week and do the clothes, the next weekend get the bed in order, then the changing area, then set up a chair for reading/feeding/snuggling.

As far as decor', get plain white letters and buy some ribbon that matches things and tie them up and hang them above the crib.
Wall decals are nice because if you get tired of them, they come right down, Target, Michael's and JoAnn's both have them now that aren't just characters.

It's a lot, but take it one section at a time and it will go by smoothly.

Around 36 weeks pack a small hospital bag with toiletries, robe, going home clothes for the both of you, and some reading material.
Wash the smallest set of clothes so they are ready to go.

You can do this, it will be okay!

Gina and Ryan said...

Ok...so I was going to give you some advice, but Andrea aleady took care of it. 90 days may not seem like it but it is a long time. Take one day at a time and try to accomplish one thing that day. You are very talented and do great things. You can do this and you will do a great job. If you need some moral support you know our phone number.

valerie said...

Yes, your friend andrea pretty much gave you all the advice...but here are a few other things I thought of.
I never took any classes, and like you, I was scared. I ended up with a c-section, so those classes wouldn't have done much good. Just read up it, the only book I ever read, was What to Expect when your Expecting....if you haven't heard of it, which I highly doubt....very important book, lots of good stuff in there.
With the clothes, make sure all the 0-3 clothes are available. And have the 3-6 ones close by, not too far away. With so many clothes its easy for forget what you have.
For the first month at least (more like 3 months for me) the baby is in my room, so a basinet is super handy to have for those first few months. With them eating so much, its pointless in my opinion to have them no farther than an arms length....
Its hard not to know what to expect, and I promise in the next month or two you will go through a HUGE nesting stage where you will probably want to clean and organize everything, everywhere. :)
You will do just fine, and its such an emotional rollercoaster before the baby and right after. It will be all worth it when you see her beautiful face staring at you! :)