Monday, March 14, 2011

Ethan's Arrival Story

I better get this all written down before the memory fades away! Where to begin.....
Wednesday night Jared and I headed out for church and Kylie went to spend some time at Grana's house. I was definitely uncomfortable most of the church service and on the way home had a chat with Little Man telling him that as much as I love feeling him move in my belly it was time to head on out so we could snuggle and love on him. I also told him not to come before 7 am Thursday morning since my midwife was not on call Wednesday night. We picked up Kylie and headed home. Around 10:30 I starting having contractions, but didn't really think much of it since I had experienced the same thing the night before. These ones turned quite different after just a couple contractions. I started timing them and after an hour started finishing up packing my hospital bag and took a bath to relax and help the pain. I called Grana to head on over and about 1:30 we headed to the hospital. Got checked in around 2 am and was offered an opportunity to use the jacuzzi tub to see if I would progress. It was awesome! That is until I got out and fainted. Jared went to get the nurse and as they came around the corner I completely blacked out. At this point I was addmitted and the iv was started! :) Yes, I am a baby and within an hour I had the epidural. It was amazing! If you ever have a baby at St. Al's ask for Darrin to do your epidural! :) Little Man listened and took his time making his arrival. I tried to get some sleep but, Little Man kept moving so much that the nurse had to keep coming in and having me move. Jared on the other hand was snoring away on the couch in the room (granted he had worked all day the day before and had not slept so he had been up for 24 hours). Midwife came in around 7 and broke my water and I was at 6cm so she thought I would go fast. HA! This baby took his sweet time and wasn't ready to push until 11:10am. Little Man kept having big dips in his heart beat so I pushed every other contraction to give him a rest. My midwife decided a vacuum was needed to get him out a little faster. So, by 11:30 Little Man made his arrival! He had the cord around his neck and under his shoulder so that was what was causing his dips in his heart beat. I got to cut the cord which was awesome and of course Jared and I shared some happy tears and instantly fell in love with Little Man. We feel so blessed to have Ethan in our lives and he is such a wonderful baby. Sidenote, both Ethan and Kylie were 9 days early, born on a Thursday, and labor started at exactly the same time! Crazy!


Last belly pic! 38 weeks 4 days.

Cutting the cord. The nurse guessed his weight exactly before putting him on the scale! I was surprised he weighed that much, but it explains why I was so uncomfortable!


All clean!

Family of 4 now!


2 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow, how amazing! So happy for your sweet family!!!! Really hoping one of these days we can all meet up again!

valerie said...

I love hearing other peoples delivery stories.... :) Love that he is here and healthy and just perfect! Congrats you guys, can't wait to meet him :)